Emergency Shelter Information and Checkpoints
Because of the fluid nature of shelter occupancy, citizens are encouraged to obtain information about shelter openings and locations at shelter information points along the evacuation route.
Up-to-Date Shelter Information
- Call 211
- For statewide information, text LASHELTER to 898-211.
- New Orleans residents should call 311 or text DELTA to 888777.
- Follow the sheltering guidance of your parish Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness.
Disaster Food Assistance Information
- The Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (DSNAP) provides eligible low-to moderate-income households who do not receive SNAP benefits with help buying groceries due to lost income or damages following a disaster.
- Louisiana residents can pre-register for DSNAP at www.dcfs.la.gov/dsnap or by calling 1-888-524-3578. Pre-register now, and be ready to apply if DSNAP is approved for your parish.
- For up-to-date information about DSNAP, text LADSNAP to 898-211 or go to www.dcfs.la.gov/dsnap.
- Current SNAP recipients are not eligible for DSNAP and should not pre-register. Find more about SNAP disaster assistance at www.dcfs.la.gov/snapstorms.